Week 10: Aloe Vera Preparations

 Since our previous experiments didn't work out, we went on and did a bit of research. Josh sent me a paper about a similar experiment that was conducted in Bangladesh in 2015. I looked at their preparations and tried to prepare mine's as similar with the goal in mind of making an aloe powder.

I soaked my aloe in tap water for five minutes, and rinsed them with di water quickly, then put it open and squeezed the milky part of an aloe on a plate that was cleaned by a 70% ethanol and airdried (Begum 2015). I did this process last week as well as this week. As of last week, the temperature set was high, so it burned my plants. It was supposed to be 80 degrees, but we set it up to 100, so we had to start the experiment over again. 

We then decided to redo the whole experiment again with more aloe extracted on the plate since we also noticed that with the right temperature, we still had very little to get our powder from. Thus, we decided to do an experiment of more aloe extracted, and it was set at the right temperature.

I am excited to see what comes out of it this time around.

The image below shows dried aloe with some burned. I initially wanted to do both cleaned aloe and uncleaned which is why you see two parts on the plate.



Comments

  1. Peniella,
    I admire your perseverance. Most of the time in science, things don't work out, its about what we do after the fact. It's awesome that you keep going! I love reading about your experiments with aloe. When we were kids, we would swim at my grandma's house, and she had wild aloe everywhere. When we got a burn burn she would cut some up from the garden and use it on your sunburns, it worked really good.

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts